Broughty Ferry Library - reading room - Ref: WC1100
This photograph of the interior of Broughty Ferry Branch library dates from some time in the late 1920s or early 1930s. The building was officially opened on 24th October 1928 by J. C. Buist, invitations having been sent out by Lord Provost High.
The entrance (to the right) is on the south wall, facing Queen Street. The striking features of the building are all seen - the glass / timber constructions around the reference books and issuing desk and the coloured skylights.
Book storage was down a stairway concealed behind the leftmost door. The building was extended in the 1970s by the City Architect of the then Dundee Corporation and the lending section was moved into raised section behind the original.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.