Broughty Ferry Beach, Dundee - Ref: WC1858
This photograph shows Beach Crescent in Broughty Ferry. At 31 Beach Crescent, the large house on the left, the famous collection of paintings by former provost of Broughty Ferry, James Orchar, were housed since 1921. The house had previously been owned by shipbuilder, Stephens.
The house became known as the Orchar Gallery. It closed in 1980 following an electrical fire. The paintings were moved to McManus Galleries, Dundee. The house is now Orchar Nursing Home.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.