"Benvenue" and "Queen of England" in Dundee Docks - Ref: WC0778
The "Benvenue" was a three-masted, full-rigged, iron-built ship belonging to the Glasgow company, Watson Bros., with a gross tonnage of 2033 and 289.2 feet in length. She brought jute from the Indian sub-continent for processing in Dundee's many mills.
The "Queen of England" was a similar three-masted, full-rigged, iron-built ship, owned by D. Kennedy and Co., of Liverpool (where she was built in 1885 by T, Royden). She had a gross tonnage of 2071 and was 276 feet in length.
The "Queen of England" arrived in Dundee on 11th March 1889, after a passage of 107 days, and is pictured in this Alexander Wilson photograph on the north side of Dundee harbour's Victoria Dock.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.