Baldovan, Kirkcaldy's Cottage, Dundee - Ref: WC1832
Baldovan estate was owned by the Ogilvie family. The estate had been in many hands over the years. Around 1740 former nabob, Walter Tullidelph purchased Baldovan and Balgay. His eldest daughter married Sir John Ogilvie of Inverquharity and obtained Baldovan while her sister Mary acquired Balgay upon her marriage to Alex Leslie, son of the Earl of Leven.
Baldovan village was created in the 1830s when a decision was made to expand Dundee northwards. The village became a self contained, proud community. It even had its own tram terminus. The topiary in the garden of Kirkcaldy's cottage is of interest in this photograph.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.