Polepark Road presents a problem. The name does not appear in any of the old documents relating to the burgh and its origin must be mere conjecture. The public Playfield of Dundee, where some of Wedderburne’s plays were performed about 1550, was situated at West Port, and the Scouring Burn (now Brook Street) runs at an angle to the north-west, leading into Polepark Road. It may be that there was a primitive public park here, with a Pole or Standard upon which flags might be displayed on special occasions. This would account for the name, which still survives in Polepark Road and Pole Street.
Source: ‘Glimpses of Old and New Dundee’ – A.H. Millar, January 1925