Moncur Crescent was named after Provost Alex. Hay Moncur, who occupied that position from 1880 till 1883. He was born in 1830, and succeeded his father as a jute manufacturer in Victoria Works, Ure Street.
In 1868 he became a Town Councillor and served with great ability and popularity until his term of the Provostship was completed in 1883, when he did not seek re-election. He entered the first Dundee School board in 1872, and for 15 years was Chairman, during which time he carried out many educational reforms.
In almost every notable philanthropic movement he took a prominent part, and was a munificent donor towards leading Institutions. His death took place on 5th August, 1908, when in his 78th year.
Source: ‘Glimpses of Old and New Dundee’ – A.H. Millar, January 1925