Leng Street was called after Sir John Leng, M.P. (1828–1906), whose name has long been familiar in Dundee in every branch of the city’s activities. In 1851 he was appointed Editor of the “Dundee Advertiser”, and by his enterprise he made it one of the leading Scottish journals, besides founding several other important periodicals. He represented Dundee in Parliament from 1889 till his retiral in 1905; and he obtained the honour of Knighthood in 1893. He died in his 78th year.
Source: ‘Glimpses of Old and New Dundee’ – A.H. Millar, January 1925