Built on land reclaimed from river late 16th century. New shore built from site of present Gilfillan Church to St. Nicholas Craig.
Land reclaimed as far north as future Butcher Row; only partially levelled and consolidated but adequate for construction of Packhouse, south of present Whitehall Crescent. Flesh Market build on south frontage 1776. North frontage, some development mid-17th century.
Cleared 1883 to lay out Whitehall Crescent; frontage of north west section lies beneath 19th-century redevelopment which followed demolition. Recent office development on corner of Crichton Street / Whitehall Crescent has probably removed any surviving traces of early levels here. South west frontages lie beneath modern Whitehall Crescent. Although almost certainly disturbed by services, the earlier street alignment may be traceable.
- Flesh Market Street 776
- Short Head Street 1793
- Butcher Row 1821
Source: ‘Historic Dundee – The Archaeological Implications of Development’, Scottish Burgh Survey 1988