Streetwise: Clepington Road

Clepington Road

Clepington Road is a name that explains itself. It was the main access to the two estates of Easter Clepington and Wester Clepington, these being divided by part of the old Glamis Road, which runs from Dens Road to Clepington Road, and was recently named “Provost Road”, in memory of Provost Patrick Hunter Thoms, who belonged to the family of the Thoms of Clepington.

The name of the estate was in early times “Clephane-toun”, when the Clephanes of Carslogie, in Fife, were proprietors.

Source: ‘Glimpses of Old and New Dundee’ – A.H. Millar, January 1925