Brown Constable Street, on the estate of Wallace-Craigie, was included in the feuing-plan of part of the ground which was drawn up in 1828 before any feus had been taken. The feus then offered were east of Dens Burn, and “Constable Street” was to be forty feet wide, and named after George Constable of Wallace Craigie, the friend of Sir Walter Scott, and the original of Monkbarns in “The Antiquary”.
It was acquired in 1779 by George Constable, and after his death the heir of entail was Lawrence Brown-Constable, whose youngest son, Colonel Charles Brown-Constable succeeded to the estate in 1852 and died in 1887. The street was named after him. Craigie estate has supplied a name to an Avenue, a Street, and a Terrace.
Source: ‘Glimpses of Old and New Dundee’ – A.H. Millar, January 1925