Streetwise: Beechwood

Beechwood

Beechwood was no doubt a descriptive name at one time; Beechwood House had been built on the land that formed part of the large Cox estate which included Clement Park and Foggyley, and as the locus of one of the family homes it would have natural amenities apart from its beautiful setting on the northern heights of the city.

In 1934 Beechwood was purchased by the corporation and the mansion demolished, as one of two locations for an extensive slum-clearance programme, the other being Mid Craigie.

Source: ‘Dundee Names, People and Places’ – David Dorward