Streetwise: Barrack Street

Barrack Street

Barrack Street was the ‘Friars’ Vennel’ from about 1280 to 1580, but after the Howff was opened as a Cemetery the name changed to ‘Burial Wynd’. As a result of a petition from the occupants to the Town Council in April 1807, the designation was altered to – Barrack Street,’ as Dudhope Castle was then occupied by the military.

Source: ‘Glimpses of Old and New Dundee’ – A.H. Millar, January 1925