Baltic Street and Baffin Street obtained these names in connection with the Whaling Industry and the Linen Trade.
One was in commemoration of Baffin’s Bay in the Arctic Region; and the other commemorated the trade with the Baltic Sea, as Riga was then the chief source of the flax and hemp so largely used in Dundee.
Baffin Street was completed in 1830 as a connecting link between Arbroath Road and Broughty Ferry Road.
Baltic Street was opened in 1840 to form an access from Meadowside to the Wellgait.
Adapted from: ‘Glimpses of Old and New Dundee’ – A.H. Millar, January 1925