Streetwise: Albert Square

Albert Square

The site of meadows which had been partially drained in 1799 and enclosed with stone walls for a bleaching green.

In c.1864 the square was laid out on 1.5 acres of marshy land by the Albert Institute Co. Ltd. Formed with intention of creating a public square as monument to Albert, Prince Consort.

Source: ‘Historic Dundee – The Archaeological Implications of Development’, Scottish Burgh Survey 1988