Local History Centre
Central Library, The Wellgate, Dundee, DD1 1DB
We encourage groups and individuals to visit Local History but ask them to book in advance.
|Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday||9am to 6pm|
|Wednesday||10am to 6pm|
|Saturday||9.30am to 5pm|
Local History has a collection of over 20,000 items, including books, pamphlets and directories relating to the City of Dundee and surrounding areas. There is also an extensive collection of prints, photographs, postcards, maps and plans.
The Wighton Heritage Centre, home to one of the world's finest collections of Scottish music, forms an annex to Local History.
Newspapers, Periodicals and Magazines - An extensive collection of local newspapers and periodicals and a range of magazines dealing with historical topics. Back copies are retained and are available on request please check for details.
- Maps and Plans - a wide range of maps and plans from early times to date
- Lamb Collection - a unique and varied resource of 450 archive boxes of ephemera, mainly from the latter part of the nineteenth century.
- Family History Collection - including the International Genealogical Index for Scotland and Old Parish Registers and census returns for Dundee and some surrounding areas.
- Taybridge Disaster - a wealth of maps, plans, books, documents, drawings and photographs on the two Tay rail bridges.
- William McGonagall Collection - a wide-ranging collection of works by and about McGonagall.
- Photopolis - Over two thousand photographs of Victorian and Edwardian Dundee, supplemented by eight hundred images from the Lawson Brothers' unique sketches of pre-improvement Dundee. Some of these show aspects of the city dating back to mediaeval times.
- Panoramic View of Old Dundee - found in the archives of the Local History Centre, Central Library this panorama shows images of old Dundee.
- Dundee Street Directories - now available online
- Scotland's Places - Bringing authentic information and images together to help you discover places in Scotland.
- Bygone Dundee - a place to view and share memories of old Dundee.
- Streetwise - history of Dundee streets.
- Photographic Exhibitions - a selection of displays through the years.
- Charles Lawson Collection - sketches and drawings of mid 19th century Dundee.
- WW1 Silk Postcards image gallery
- Mary Slessor - internationally renowned missionary
- Sir James Ivory - celebrated mathematician
- James Bowman Lindsay - pioneer of electric lighting and wireless telegraphy
- Rare books and manuscripts - Dundee possessed one of Europe's earliest municipal libraries
- Lamb Collection - over 450 boxes of ephemera, including maps, photographs, books and prints
You can order digital images or prints from the various collections and most resources can be photocopied, subject to intellectual property rights and the condition of the material concerned.