Y.M.C.A., Constitution Road, Dundee - Ref: WC1365
This photograph by Alexander Wilson shows the south western portion of Dundee's Constitution Road, which Eucild Crescent leading to the east out of the righthand side.
Ward Chapel is the building at the extreme left, a Congregational Church with seating for up to 950 people. The Y.M.C.A. Building (now Volunteer Centre 10 Constitution Road) is immediately to the north. The secretary in 1906 was William Stewart. The Dundee Temperance Society also met there.
The next building is nowadays (2001) the Bell Street Music Centre, where Dundee's school orchestras rehearse and chamber music concerts are held. Originally it was a United Free Church with seating for 875 worshippers.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.