Y.M.C.A., Constitution Road, Dundee - Ref: WC1367
This photograph by Alexander Wilson shows the south west portion of Constitution Road in Dundee, with Ward Chapel at the left, the Y.M.C.A. in the centre, (currently 2016, Volunteer Centre 10 Constitution Road) and a United Free church (now, 2001, the city music centre).
The Young Men's Christian Association bought the building in 1871. It was built, to plans by the Edinburgh architect, George Angus, in 1840 to house The Watt Institute, a centre for learning in the city, to hold its expanding library and provide a bigger lecture theatre.
The Y.M.C.A., after a visit by prominent members, expanded and developed the building to such an extent that, despite donations from locals such as Miss Baxter, a £2,000 debt remained in 1878. A bazaar was held to clear it.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.