Whitehall Close, Dundee - Ref: WC0708
Whitehall Close led from Nethergate in Dundee south to Fish Street. It was demolished in 1883 as part of the development of Whitehall Crescent. The name perhaps originated in a royal residence that was supposedly built in the burgh in the 12th century.
This photograph gives an impression of just how narrow closes in old Dundee were. The whole area was stricken with poverty and disease. The ditch at the right hand side was a water drain.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.