Whitehall Close, Dundee - Ref: WC0702
Whitehall Crescent was built in Dundee in 1883. Several of the city’s older streets and closes were demolished as part of the improvements, including Whitehall Close, which is thought perhaps to have been the site of Malcolm III’s Whitehall Palace.
This photograph shows part of the demolition works in progress. To the right hand side, a well can be seen and there is an old staircase on the left.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.