"Westlothian" in Dudnee Harbour - Ref: WC0923
This Alexander Wilson photograph shows the "West Lothian" berthed on the northern side of Camperdown Dock in Dundee Harbour. A four masted, full rigged iron sailing ship, she was built by C. Connell and Co., Glasgow, for J. Boyd, also of Glasgow.
Her gross tonnage was 1882, which was coincidentally the year of her construction, and she measured 279.5 feet in length. The two vessels berthed nearby are unidentified.
The "West Lothian" took 100 days to sail from Calcutta in 1888, and 119 for the same trip in 1894. She took 122 days for the voyage from Chittagong in 1890. On each occasion, she brought raw jute to be processed in Dundee's many mills.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.