West Port, Dundee - Ref: WC0692
This Alexander Wilson photograph shows the junction of West Port in Dundee with the northern section of Tay Street, which runs from the west end of Overgate towards Lochee Road.
The Great Northern public house stands on the corner, listed in the Dundee Directory as No. 1 West Port and No. 2 North Tay Street. Nos. 5-7 West Port were Joseph Hynd's West End Clothing Co, and No. 9 William Mather the baker's Refreshment Rooms.
The grocer and spirits merchant at No. 8 North Tay Street was Robert C. Watson, and the Tay Street Loans Office was most likely the pawnbroker Mrs Elizabeth O'Ferrall at No. 14. In the distance, Dundee Royal Infirmary can just be made out.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.