Wellgate, Dundee - Ref: WC0686
The Wellgate in Dundee ran north from the east end of Murraygate to the Hilltown, where there had once been The Lady Well. Panmure Street runs off to the left, while Cowgate runs to the right.
Nathaniel Sutton, the mantle manufacturer (according to the Dundee Directory), was the 'costumier' at No. 1 Wellgate. No listing has been found for any business named 'The London and Paris'. J and W Kerr's boot store (one of their several shops) was No. 3.
H. McDonald, the outfitter and clothier, were at No. 2 Wellgate and Nos. 20-22 Panmure Street. The coffee and dining rooms at No. 8 belonged to Henry Robertson, and the confectioner at No. 10 was George Walker.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.