Ward Road, Dundee (north side) - Ref: WC0677
This photograph shows the north side of Ward Road in Dundee, with Rattray Street running north at the lefthand side and Nicoll Street, running parallel to the right.
The Ward Road Wesleyan Chapel (seen to the left) was built in 1866 next to Messrs. Gilroy's large warehouses on the site of the old Newtyle Railway Station. It was designed to seat over 700 people (including galleries). Below were several classrooms.
Both portions have been converted into public houses, the main chapel is currently occupied by a nightclub. Foresters' Halls were built in 1900 by David Baxter, with three capacious rooms, with space of 1500 people in total!
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.