Ward Road, Dundee - Ref: WC0675
This photograph from the Alexander Wilson Collection shows the south side of Dundee's Ward Road, which runs westwards from Meadowside to Lochee Road, with the junction at Barrack Street just to the left of the image.
The auctioneer and valuator at No. 10 Ward Road was Robert Curr, who lived at No. 5 Duff Road. The Ward Road Baptist Church, foundation stone laid in October 1894 (details in Lamb Collection 189(6)), was next door, church officer was Charles Davidson.
The Dundee Water Commissioners' Yard was at No. 14. The water inspector in 1904 was Alexander Grieve, while the superintendent was Alexander Sturrock. The building to the right was the Ward Road Gymnasium, dating from 1891/2.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.