Ward Road, Dundee - Ref: WC0682
This Alexander Wilson photograph shows Dundee's Ward Road, looking east towards Meadowside, with Rattray Street leading north to the left. The church at the left was the Ward Road Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, which has since become a night club.
Beyond the office blocks of Rattray Street is Nicoll Street. The block there includes Nicoll and Son, iron, steel and copper merchants, listed at Nos. 1-5 Ward Road. Then is Constitution Road, with Thomas Cuthbert's coachworks at the south end.
On the righthand side were the Dundee Auction Rooms belonging to Robert H. S. Curr, auctioneer and valuator of fine art and general property. He helped finance the Curr Night Refuge in nearby Bell Street, which offered a bed to the homeless.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.