Ward Road, Dundee - Ref: WC0681
This photograph shows the north side of Ward Road in Dundee, with Rattray Street running to the north and left, and Nicoll Street further to the east. The church in the foreground was Wesleyan Methodist, built in around 1866 with seating for over 700.
Designed by David Mackenzie, the building had a large schoolroom, a vestry and three classrooms below. By the year 2000, the lower portion had been converted to a public house and the main church into a night club.
Mackenzie likewise designed the block of tenements and offices between Rattray and Nicoll Streets. At the far end of the next block were Nicoll and Son, iron, steel and copper merchants, listed in the Dundee Directory as Nos. 1-5 Ward Road.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.