Ward Road, Dundee - Ref: WC0678
This Alexander Wilson photograph shows the south side of Ward Road in Dundee, with Barrack Street just to the left (and east) of the shot and North Lindsay Street in the west.
The Ward Road Baptist Church is at the lefthand side, built in 1894. The next building housed the Water Commission's Yard. Then comes the Ward Road Gymnasium, which was built during the period 1890-1. Gymnastics were far more popular then than now.
The two Dundee clubs combined in 1896 (to enable Dundee to be even more successful in national competitions) and there was an appeal to the leading gentlemen of the city to become patrons (Dundee Central Library's Lamb Collection 116 (20) has a copy.)
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.