Ward Road, Dundee - Ref: WC0673
This photograph shows the junction of Ward Road in Dundee with Constitution Road, leading north to the right and Barrack Street sharply to the left and south. Behind the viewer is the Howff graveyard and a road which was then called Meadowside.
Nicoll and Sons, the iron and steel merchants, are listed as Nos. 1-5 Ward Road in the Dundee Directory, which adds copper merchants to their description. Up Constitution Road is Ward Road Congregational Chapel, built in 1883 to designs by J. Brewster.
At Nos. 15-19 Ward Road is the Wesleyan Methodist Church, built to plans by David Mackenzie in 1866, who also designed a block of houses next door. In the distance is the Dundee Industrial School for Girls, whose matron was a Mrs Mitchell.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.