View over the river, Newport - Ref: WC3209
This is a view of Newport over the river with the Tay Bridge in the background. In the early 1800s the ferry service to both Newport and Woodhaven were thriving.
At the beginning of the 19th century only 20 cottages made up the village of Newport with a population of around 100. As the ferry service developed so did the village.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.