Victoria Road, Dundee - Ref: WC0671
This rather poorly-lit photograph from the Alexander Wilson Collection shows the junction of Dundee's Victoria Road, running into the distant north east, with Hilltown, which runs steeply north to the left, and Wellgate which led south to the city centre.
The wines and spirits establishment at the foot of Hilltown was T. Robert Webster (also listed in the Dundee Directory as No. 22 Victoria Road). No. 37 was the fruit merchant, William Dryden, who had another shop at No. 35 Union Street.
John Wilkie was a fruiterer and florist at No. 31 Victoria Road, with William Low and Co., the grocers, at No. 29. No. 23 was the butcher, James Duncan, with the Victoria Coffee Palace (complete with billiards room), owned by Campbell Mackenzie, at No. 27.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.