Victoria Road, Dundee - Ref: WC0666
This photograph by Alexander Wilson shows the 'beginning' of Victoria Road, where it runs east north east from Meadowside in Dundee's city centre roughly in the direction of Forfar. Just to the right of this image is the south end of Hilltown.
H. Henderson and Sons were 'tanners and curriers, leather, tallow, oil, hide and bark merchants, boot, shoe and mill belt manufacturers' at No. 6 Victoria Road. Dundee Central Library's Lamb Collection Box 31(20) includes a pricelist and other information.
The elegant block to the right of Russell Lane is known as Victoria Chambers, which contained the offices of many of the city's leading merchants. Beyond, at Nos. 16-18, was the brewery of John Neave.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.