Victoria Road, Dundee - Ref: WC0665
This Alexander Wilson photograph shows Victoria Road, which runs east north east from the city centre at Meadowside roughly towards Forfar, looking back towards the city with the foot of Hilltown in the distance.
David Hynd, 'ironmonger, brassfounder and plumber' according to the Dundee Directory, was listed at No. 84 Victoria Road and Forebank Road. The tenements above were built by J. G. Fairley, who also designed the adjoining Trinity Evangelical Union Church.
Opened on 16th December 1877 by Dr James Morison, founder of the Evangelical Union movement, the church seated over 500 people and cost around £5000. Beyond the church is Victoria Road Calendar, later A and S Henry, of 1874-75.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.