"Venus" and "Cumberland" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0920
This photograph from Alexander Wilson's private collection shows two vessels berthed in Dundee's King William IV Docks. The 1848 Royal Arch stood at the north end of a pier between King William and the Earl Grey Dock to the west.
The street to the right of centre is Castle Street, with the City Assembly Rooms at its southern end. The tall spire in the background is Sir George Gilbert Scott's St Paul's Cathedral of 1853.
The "Cumberland" was an iron screw steamer, built in 1882 by Haxon of Newcastle. She measured 84.0 feet in length and had a gross tonnage of 97. The "Cumberland" was a regular visitor in 1889, with cement from Humberside and Porcelain from Hamburg.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.