The Vault, Dundee (north and west sides) - Ref: WC0661
This Alexander Wilson photograph shows part of Dundee's The Vault, which was to the south of the High Street, behind the Town House, and was mostly public houses and residences.
William Smith is shown as a wine and malt liquor merchant at No. 9 and as an importer of wines & spirits at No. 5. He also owned No. 11, and the Queen's Hotel in Nethergate, as well as having a bottling company and acting as agents for various breweries.
William S. McNab's leather warehouse was No. 1, described in the Dundee Directory as 'leather merchant and shoe furnishing warehouse'. He lived at No. 36 Tait's Lane.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.