Union Street, Dundee - Ref: WC0655
This photograph shows the south end of Dundee's Union Street at the junction with Whitehall Crescent to the east and right and that with Yeaman Shore to the west and left, with the roof of the City Churches just visible.
The Great Western was a public house and wines & spirits retail outlet owned by Mrs James Burdon. Robert Thomson the butcher is next door at No. 45, with James Mollison, the baker, at No. 43 and the spirit dealer George Paton at No. 39.
Henry G. Dixon, owner of the City Cycle Warehouse, also had a shop in High Street. Originating in Sheffield, where he trained as a cutler, Dixon is listed in the Dundee Directory as an ironmonger, but his business interests were far more diverse.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.