Union Street, Dundee - Ref: WC0652
This photograph focuses on the north-western part of Dundee's Union Street, with the City Churches to the north and right. The shops, etc., match entries in the Dundee Directory for 1904-05.
James Crow (with a sign saying poulterer but listed as a gamedealer) was at No. 27; next door was William George Donaldson, clothier, hosier and hatter. Geroge B. Craig's glass and china warehouse was at No. 21, Lochtie and Young & Co., above at No. 23.
The bootmakers Paisley & Robertson was at No. 19. No. 17 was the ironmonger John Aitken, and Joseph Johnston & Sons, the fishmonger's. After Mrs John B. Third's grocery and George Spence's fruit shop came James Stewart and the Metropole.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.