Union Street, Dundee - Ref: WC0648
This photograph focuses on the south eastern corner of Dundee's Union Street, with the city churches (and a mill stack beyond) to the left and the area cleared to make way for the Whitehall Crescent development to the east and right.
This photograph may date from 1890, when the visible names match entries in the Dundee Directory. These include W. H. Marquis at No. 38 Union Street, who is described as a hair manufacturer, but his sign here clearly reads 'perfumer'.
David Mackie, the wine merchant at No. 42, styled his public house 'The Star and Garter'. Next door was the Annandale Dairy Co., and next to them Niven Brothers, the butchers at No. 34, who subsequently moved across the street to No. 45.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.