Union Street, Dundee - Ref: WC0646
This photograph shows the south end of Dundee's Union Street, which leads from Nethergate at the city churches southwards to the junctions of Yeaman Shore (here to the left) and Whitehall Crescent (to the right).
The building on the lefthand corner is a public house called The Great Western belonging to Mrs James Burdon. The butcher shop next door belonged to James Fiddes, with J. Mollison the bakers at No. 43.
The identifiable shops first match entries in the Dundee Directory for 1906-07, when the shop on the opposite belonged to Aitchinson, Johnston, and Co., musicsellers. At No. 48 was another prominent Dundee business, Smith, Hood and Co., Ltd., colliers.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.