Union Street and Yeaman Shore, Dundee - Ref: WC0658
This photograph from the Alexander Wilson Collection shows the south end of Dundee's Union Street, which runs northwards to Nethergate, the City Churches being just visible in the distance.
The tower at the lefthand edge is part of Dundee West railway station, South Union Street being the location of no less than three such buildings! Yeaman Shore is the area between that tower and Mrs James Burden's Great Western public house.
Robert Fiddes, 'the family butcher', replaced Niven Brothers at No. 45 Union Street some time in 1905-06. Fiddes lived at No. 13 Pitkerro Road. Russell's Royal Hotel, Dundee's premiere establishment, is at the Nethergate end of Union Street.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.