Union Street and Whitehall Crescent, Dundee - Ref: WC0653
This photograph shows the southern end of Dundee's Union Street, with the City Churches in the distance, Whitehall Crescent leading to the right behind Fairweathers and Dock Street in front.
The shop names at the end of Union Street do not match any Dundee Directory entry. Joseph Fairweather, sculptor and architectural carver, as well as J. and J.F. Fairweather, teachers of shorthand, etc., are listed in 1893-94 until 1897-98.
Miss Bell, a fruiterer in 1893 becomes Misses E. and S. Bell, fruiterers in 1897, and Norma McLeod, tobacconist in 1893 has gone by the later date. The entire area was demolished to make way for Robert Hunter's Tay Hotel in 1898.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.