Unidentified ships in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0989
This photograph shows King William IV Dock in Dundee, which was opened on 24th November 1825 in the presence of around 20,000 spectators. Alexander Wilson, the jute factory manager who took it, stood on the south western section of the dock.
To the right is the back and western face of the elegant, Italianate Customs House, designed by James Leslie and John Taylor, and built in 1842-43. It has three storeys and 13 bay windows.
The vessels in the dock (two sailing ships, most probably whalers judging by their size, and a steamer) are so far unidentified. The buildings to the left are Dock Street, that immediately to the left of the Customs House being the Sailors' Home.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.