"Toxteth" In Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0915
The "Toxteth", an iron three masted ship, was built in 1887 by Oswald, Mordaunt and Co., of Southampton, for the Sailing Ship "Toxteth" Co., of Liverpool.
The "Toxteth" visited Dundee on at least two occasions. The Dundee Directory lists an arrival on 28th March 1888 with a load of jute from Calcutta after a voyage of 112 days.
Alexander Wilson took this photograph during that visit to the city. On 11th March 1889, she arrived with a similar cargo from Calcutta after only 107 days at sea.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.