Tay Street and West Port, Dundee - Ref: WC0687
This photograph by Alexander Wilson shows the junction of Dundee's West Port (leading westwards to the left) with the Brown Street, which ran northwards to Lochee Road.
The Great Northern public house, owned by David Mackie, is listed as No. 2 North Tay Street and No. 1 West Port. The West End Clothing and Hat Co., owned by Joseph Hynd, was Nos. 5-7, and William Mather, pastrybaker, was No. 9.
The general dealer at No. 6 North Tay Street was Samuel Ronder, the loan office was most likely Elizabeth O'Farrell, a pawnbroker, at No. 14. Dundee Royal Infirmary can just be made out in the distance.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.