Tally Street, Dundee - Ref: WC0623
Tally Street in Dundee ran from the Overgate in the north to the Nethergate in the south, which leads off to the right of this photograph.
The lower part of the corner building housed A. L. Reis and Co., 'wholesale and retail jewellers, and general hardware merchants, importers of melodeons and American and Continental clocks' at Nos. 19 and 21 Nethergate.
The upper floor of the same building was by William Ferrier's photographic studios, listed as No. 1 Tally Street. Beyond Church Lane, little more than an alleyway, was Justice and Robertson's carpet and bedding warehouse.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.