Tally Street, Dundee - Ref: WC0620
The east side of Dundee's Tally Street is seen here running from the Overgate to the left to the Nethergate to the south and right, with trees and the gateway into the City Churches complex visible at the right hand side.
The hotel to the left was James T. Phillips's City Hotel, with the Parliament Bar to the lower left, owned by the Overgate wine and spirit dealer, James S. Smith. The hairdresser in 1905 was Joseph Cullen.
John Robertson and Co.'s furniture warehouse occupied Nos. 2-8 Tally Street, and stocked carpets and bedding as well as their original business, that of cabinet-makers. Their workshop was in Mid Street, quite a way distant, near Constitution Road.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.