Submarine Miners' Ship, Dundee - Ref: WC1827
After reaching an agreement between the Admiralty and Dundee Harbour Trustees, Dundee became a naval base for submarines in 1909. The Admiralty paid Dundee £4000 per annum for the use of harbour facilities, including a dry dock with specially fitted cradles for the submarines.
The unidentified ship in this photograph appears to be docked at Broughty Ferry. Hoists can be seen which were probably used to transport the submarines.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.