Submarine Miners' Ship, Dundee - Ref: WC1826
Dundee became a submarine naval base in 1909. Agreement was reached between the Admiralty and Dundee Harbour Trustees over the harbour rights the base would be given in return for the £4000 per annum the Admiralty paid Dundee. The lease was for five years.
This photograph shows a ship belonging to the submarine miners, as they were known then. The photograph was taken on the River Tay, possibly during training for the submariners who had a camp at nearby Broughty Ferry.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.