Submarine Miners in Camp, Dundee - Ref: WC1824
In 1909, after intense negotiation and speculation, Dundee became a submarine naval base. Agreement was reached between the Admiralty and Dundee Harbour Trustees over the harbour rights the base would acquire for the payment from the Admiralty of £4000 per year.
The lease was to last for five years. In this photograph the submarine miners camp at Broughty Ferry is shown. This camp was on a green near Broughty Ferry Castle which itself is situated beside the River Tay.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.