Strawberry Bank, Dundee - Ref: WC0611
Strawberrybank in Dundee is a small street running from Perth Road in the north to Magdalen Yard Road in the south. This Alexander Wilson photograph matches Ordnance Survey map 54.9.6 in showing the layout of No. 14.
There is a reference on the back of this photograph to the effect that the house was once home to Rev. Murray McCheyne, one of the leading members of the Dundee clergy at the end of the 19th century, but this has not been proven.
In the Dundee Directory for 1894-95, the occupant is listed as John Wardrope (late fruit merchant). No. 16 is Joseph M. Robertson, commercial traveller. By 1895-96, Robertson has been replaced by the teacher, David Dawson.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.