St John's Old Church, Dundee - Ref: WC1895
St John's Old Church was the first Free church built in Dundee. Located in Small's Wynd it was erected in 1843. The original St John's had been part of the city churches complex which burned down in 1841. The Disruption followed resulting in a split in the congregation.
The established church took over a Gaelic church in South Tay Street and the Free congregation built the church in the photograph. In 1881 the University College Dundee was founded and the church and its nearby manse were purchased by the Baxters. The church closed in 1884 and a new church in Roseangle was built.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.